Humanitarian Workers Killed More in 2024 Than Ever – OCHA

Photo Credit: yenisafak.com

 . 383 aid workers lost their lives 

Geneva:  In a disturbing revelation, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has reported a staggering increase in the number of humanitarian workers killed in 2024, marking the highest fatalities recorded to date. 

A total of 383 aid workers lost their lives in 2024, or about one-third more than the year before, the agency reported on Tuesday to mark World Humanitarian Day.

In addition, 308 were injured, 125 abducted and 45 arrested.

The trend has continued this year: by mid-August, 265 aid workers had already been killed, either while on duty or at home.

The deadliest locations so far in 2024 have been the Gaza Strip and Sudan.

“Even one attack against a humanitarian colleague is an attack on all of us and on the people we serve,” said UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher.

He called the scale of violence “a shameful indictment of international inaction and apathy.”

The International Committee of the Red Cross said: “Every attack is a grave betrayal of humanity.”

Humanitarian staff work for aid organisations responding to war, conflict or natural disasters, ranging from UN agencies to groups such as the Red Cross, Malteser, Caritas and World Vision.

Most were locally employed people who know the culture and conditions of crisis regions.

Under international law, humanitarian personnel must be protected.
In 2024, the UN Security Council reaffirmed in a resolution that member states are obliged to safeguard aid workers and investigate every attack. However, perpetrators are rarely held accountable.

Related posts

Kano ram Prices Hit N700,000, sellers lament low patronage ahead of Eid-el-Kabir

NYSC@53: Corps Scheme Driving Unity, Powering Every Sector — Director

NSW Portal Surges Past 39,000 Trade Applications Within 8 Weeks