Abuja: President Bola Tinubu congratulated the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for busting a Nigerian-Mexican drug syndicate and dismantling a multi-million-dollar drug network.
This was stated by presidential spokesperson Mr Bayo Onanuga on Thursday in Abuja.
NDLEA Chairman, retired Brig.-Gen. Buba Marwa announced on Wednesday that, after weeks of intelligence gathering and collaboration with international partners, a major breakthrough had been achieved.
The operation arrested foreign nationals, local kingpins, and collaborators, seizing chemicals and drugs worth over 360 million dollars.
Tinubu called the operation a milestone in Nigeria’s fight against organised crime, narcotics, and transborder networks threatening security.
The president said the operation showed exceptional professionalism, courage, and commitment.
“I commend the bravery, resilience, and dedication of NDLEA operatives on this mission.
I urge them to stay vigilant against drug trafficking,” the president said.
Tinubu warned that West Africa is now a major corridor for smuggling cocaine, synthetic narcotics, and unregulated drugs to Europe and North America.
“West Africa is now a concern in the fight against narcotics. Drug barons use our region as a transit hub for cocaine, synthetic drugs, and illegal pharmaceuticals,” he said.
The president noted illicit drugs also threaten young people, leading to addiction and exploitation.
“Drugs pose a threat to our security and youth, some now victims of this trade,” he said.
He urged Nigerians to support security agencies by staying alert and reporting suspicious activity in their communities.
“The fight against illicit drugs is not only the NDLEA’s responsibility.
Everyone must be vigilant and report suspicious activity,” he said.
Tinubu said the operation proves security agencies are committed to fighting organised crime without compromise.
“This success signals our agencies will not tolerate crime and will enforce the law against threats to public safety,” Tinubu said.

